Friday, January 4, 2019

The Pedagogy of Digital Resources





Image result for laptops

It’s been my desire, for quite some time, to write a piece on digital resources.
Why? Because as I’ve grown to love the plethora of research that bring to light the true "math" in mathematics (see below)- I've come to learn the unique purpose that blending digital resources and true curriculum can have on students. 
  •  NCTM’s articles on Teaching Mathematics
  • John Van de Walle’s literature on Teaching Student Centered Mathematics
  • Jo Boaler’s series of the Mindset of Mathematics
Image result for reflex mathIts because of these articles (and books) that expound on the true meaning of mathematical concepts such as fluency, I’m compelled to believe our systems just aren’t designed with the integrity of this evidence in mind. 

Image result for abcyaI'll admit, I've been dragging my feet with speaking on this subject. After all, it wouldn’t make me the most popular person. For example...

I was sitting at a Hibachi Grill with a fellow educator friend, and two families (that I did not know). One family consisted of a couple that happened to be educators; while the other family consisted of a parent of two grade school students. The male spouse of the first family began a conversation about his intermediate class and how engaged his students are when they interact with a particular digital resource (that shall not be named). When he named the resource, the 2nd family chimed in putting their stamp of approval on the resource for the following reasons:
1. Because their students loved the gaming feature 
and
2. Their students "engagement" was based on the premise of point collection achieved by getting answers correct. 

I silently listened as they went back and forth rattling off academic digital resources that they perceived to be "engaging" their students. Then the time came when they turned to me for my opinion, expecting me to agree. I knew my response would not be liked so I turned my response into a question to dodge sharing my opinion. *keep reading for the question...

Image result for prodigy
Teachers pride themselves in searching and finding websites that engage their students and keep them entertained during Math; and I truly believe that teachers are our most valuable assets and clients. So how does one address a critically relevant topic without causing the user of the product some rub?

I preface this next piece with these two ideals in mind:
  • I intend on addressing my opinionated view from an educated vantage point; using literature and research to support my points.
  • I know that while my views won’t be popular, they can lead to some challenging conversations and hopefully encourage those with a growth mindset to be somewhat objective when considering the programs you value and enjoy.

So, here are my (2) questions (one of which was asked at the hibachi table): 
  • “What is your favorite digital resource for students to use in your classroom?”
  • Why is it your favorite?

Image result for ixl 
Now, you don't have to leave your answers in the comments, but check out the responses below and silently nod if yours match any of these.
  • student engagement 
  • ability for students to feel their learning is personalized
  • excitement of a product’s gaming features 
  • student’s ability to build an emoji or collect coins 

So why did I dodge the question that evening at dinner? Because in order to support rich learning, best initial instruction practices and promote true success and growth in students, our digital products must mirror the rigorous and conceptual components of our Tier 1 instruction. 

You might be asking, "what are those practices?" and "does my favorite product embody them?"

Image result for stride academyWell I'm certain the practices I'm about to share are NOT ones that pique the interest of a student willing to engage in a computer created product! Nor are these pedagogical practices the primary selling point of programs that (upon consideration) make a teacher believe students will stay "engaged" and "out of their hair (quiet)" while we tend to the other classroom duties. After all, were you ever like me and at times needed at least 5 of my students to be so engaged on the computer that they would not want to bother me while I worked with students at my horseshoe table? I'm not saying it's right, but its what teachers secretly hope for. 

If so, consider this...

The Pedagogy of Digital Resources.

Here are my top 4:

  • True fluency – Fluency is NOT a students capability to rattle off facts quickly (somehow demonstrating a pseudo-knowledge of those facts). Fluency is, however, strategies that support flexibility with numbers (different approaches to the same answer); a focus on accuracy, all leading to the notion of true automaticity. My opinion is that Digital resources should provide THIS level of fluency through pictorial manipulation of strategic tools (ten frames, rekenreks, area models, number lines, etc) building towards patterns in sums and products that eventually lead to accuracy and time.

  • High Cognitive Demand- not a focus on answering questions, but a focus on prompts that cause the student to ask the questions. Sometimes a simple visual with a focus on analyzing and interpreting the visual causes students to move from finding an answer (numeric) to higher order thinking and processing skills such as justifying, reasoning and explaining! 

  • Instructional Alignment & Support- While I understand that Texas is the rogue state (by choosing to adopt their own set of standards, rather than the Common Core); I fully support our new mathematical standards and the learning progression they provide, as well as the level of thinking and learning they imply. Our standards beautifully embed the “math” in mathematics with explicit emphasis on strategies that support learning (number lines, strip diagrams, arrays, area models, properties of operation, mental math, etc). All things that were missing in math when we were growing up; and all things that truly support development of the CRA (concrete to representational to abstract) thinking process students need to bridge their learning and develop a sound foundation. Resources that embed these strategies support the learning that occurs in the classroom by coming alongside what we as teachers are (should be) doing to keep in step with the TEKS and giving an additional layer of support when students are working with us, or with other students in a hands-on way. Whether a child chooses this or not, this option should be provided. This process simulates the learning/instruction cycle that should be evident in math classrooms. Students should be given an opportunity to engage in learning that aligns to the standards, directly (not in part). Meaning through some short video or manipulation simulator, or quick snapshot of visuals, given a chance to make connections to algorithmic/abstract concepts. This is truly supporting the instructional cycle as it embodies remediation, enrichment and extension!

  • Engagement- This final component is easily the most sought after piece yet, I would contend, can also serve as the largest instructional distractor. Seeking after engagement as a primary characteristic of an instructional digital resources is a distraction if not coupled with intentional focus on learning by manipulating math models. 

I've got to admit, with the plethora of math instructional resources I've dabbled in, not many have blown me away! Perhaps one day I'll get the opportunity to work on developing such a product! Either way, here's my point. If a digital resource only provides engagement to students and that's the most valuable component, we are failing our students in light of instruction. And likewise, if a digital resource that is expected to support instruction ONLY provides students the opportunity to answer various questions, then it's a digital worksheet or constant digital assessment of the student, at best! It's not a "Curriculum" based resource. I can't even say that's a supplement to instruction. 

I believe that Instructional Digital Resources should possess the ability to engage students while taking them through a highly cognitive, aligned instructional progression (including contextual problems), and provide opportunities for them to explore the multifaceted components of fluency while asking the questions that math provoke. 

So like I said, it's not the popular answer, but my experiences with various levels of student ability coupled with an extensive study of mathematics instruction have led me to these conclusions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment